25 NEWMARKET STREET – A SHORT HISTORY
1760s – The ‘Substantial House’
The Manor Call Books in 1762 shows the owner as Thomas Hartley, a plasterer. The Window Tax Assessment of 1771 records it as the ‘first substantial house’ on the North side of Newmarket Street.
1800s – Property in Demand
From 1813-29, occupier John Preston, a solicitor, was succeeded by his widow, Jane until 1853 just after the 1851 Census. His son, Thomas (resident in 1841) is mentioned in William Gomersall’s ‘Hunting in Craven’ (1889): ‘Mr Tom Preston of Skipton, Solicitor, was much happier behind a brace of pointers, or up in the saddle, than he was when among his cases, briefs or parchments.’ By 1854 the Church Rate shows the owner-occupier as Edward Robinson, a Cotton Spinner and Wholesale Grocer, living with his wife and five children, a Governess, Cook, Housemaid and Nurse. A stained glass window in the Parish Church is in memory of him and his brother. Widow, Margaret resided here with her son, Robert until 1892.
1900s – Towards a Grade II listing
Margaret’s son, Robert Arthur Robinson was an architect and lived here until 1920, followed by new owner, Mr CK Butchart, a dentist, whose son Dr JEK Butchart occupied it as a dental surgery until he retired in 1973. Subsequent owners were Mr DWS Pollard and son, Dr JRD Pollard who practiced as dental surgeons. On 2 March 1978 the building gained English Heritage Grade II listed status. The listing states: ‘C19, ashlar, 2 storeys, heavy eaves cornice, stringcourse. Centre by Ionic columns supporting a cornice with dentils. Two 2-light windows on ground floor, with the doorway set back inside 3 relieving arches. In the tympanum of each is a large paterae. 3 windows above’.
2000s – Celebration and Hospitality
Reflecting changing cosmopolitan tastes, the glory of the listed building has been offered to the general public and business clientele in the form of a hotel, featuring individually furnished rooms and a cellar bar. Further developments include a restaurant at the back of the building, with its own entrance in the adjoining Court Lane bringing the entire property to life once again.