1760s – A ‘substantial house’
In 1762 the Manor Call Books shows the property owned by Thomas Hartley a plasterer. The Window Tax Assessment of 1771 shows Hartley occupying the ‘first substantial house’ on the North side of Newmarket Street counting in the easterly direction from Caroline Square.
1800s – A property in demand
From 1813 to 1829 the occupier was John Preston, the solicitor, whose widow Jane continued in occupation after his death until 1853 just after the the 1851 Census. In 1841 his son Thomas Preston, also a solicitor, lived here; he is mentioned in William Gomersall’s “Hunting in Craven” (1889). “Mr Tom Preston of Skipton, Solicitor, was much happier behind a brace of pointers, or up in the saddle, than he was when among his cases, briefs or parchments.”
By 1854 the Church Rate shows Edward Robinson as the owner occupier, a 36 year old cotton spinner and Wholesale Grocer, living with his wife and 5 children, a governess, cook, housemaid and nurse. (There is a stained glass window in the Parish Church in memory of him and his brother). Margaret, Edward’s widow, resided here with her son until 1892.
1900s – Glory of a Grade II listed building
Margaret’s son Robert Arthur Robinson, an architect, lived here until 1920, when the property was sold to Mr C.K. Butchart, a dentist, whose son Dr. J.E.K. Butchart occupied it as a dental surgery until he retired in 1973.
The house was then occupied by Mr D.W.S Pollard & Son, Dr J.R.D Pollard who carried on the profession of dental surgeons until recent years.
On 2 March 1978 the building gained English Heritage Grade II listed status. The listing states: C19, ashlar, 2 storeys, heavy eaves cornice, stringcourse. Centre by Ionic columns supporting a cornice with dentils. Two 2-light windows on ground floor, with the doorway set back inside 3 relieving arches. In the tympanum of each is a large paterae. 3 windows above.
2000s – Celebration through hospitality
Reflecting changing cosmopolitan tastes, the glory of the property has been offered to the general public and business clientele in the form of a boutique hotel, with individually furnished rooms and a cellar bar. In 2015 a relaunch the business will also include a restaurant at the back of the building, which will have its own entrance in the adjoining Court Lane adding a further dimension to this celebrated property.